I’m on Instagram too !
How To Make Chicken Chow Mein (Chinese Stir Fried Noodles)
Chicken Chow Mein is easy and fast to make and super delicious.
***You Will Need ***
9 oz / 250g Hokkien noodles
5 oz /150g chicken breast
1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce – I use this brand – amazon
1/4 teaspoon of white pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch – I use this brand – amazon
1 tablespoon of water
1 cup of Chinese chives
1/2 cup of carrot
1/2 of onion
For The Sauce:
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce – I use this brand –
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce – I use this brand – amazon
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of Chinese cooking wine – amazon
Toasted sesame seeds
《Preparing the noodle》
– Usually the noodle sticks together in the package. Soak the noodle in hot water for 2-3 minutes then it will loosen itself. Do not boil the noodle as we don’t want to overcook it. Drain it. – Then place it in airy area to dry out. Or use kitchen towel if you are really hungry.
《Preparing the chicken》
– As the noodle is in long strip size, we also cut the chicken breast into strip size. It’s good for stir fry and would be easier to eat with the noodle
– Marinate the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper powder.
– Chicken breast is very lean and can get toughen easily during stir fry, to make it tender and juicy, add a teaspoon of cornstarch as tenderiser and a tablespoon of water which will be absorbed by the chicken
《Preparing the vegetables》
– For the vegetables, you can use any vegetables you like. Here I have 1/2 cup of onion, 1/2 of carrot and 1 cup of Chinese chives which has very nice garlic flavour. Also cut all the them into strips about 2 inches long.
《Preparing the sauce》
– Mix 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce which is the soul of the sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of Chinese cooking wine to give more fragrance.
〈Cooking (The cooking time is short as the whole process is in high heat) 〉
《Cook the chicken 》
– Heat up the wok, then heat up a teaspoon of cooking oil. Make sure the cooking surface is coated with oil. By doing this, your food will not stick on the wok.
– Add the chicken. Place the chicken evenly on the wok and cook for 30 seconds
Then flip to another side. Do the same.
Then stir fry for 1 minute to cook the meat. Then set aside.
《Cook the vegetables and combine 》Cooking Chopsticks
– Heat up the wok again, then heat up a tablespoon of cooking oil
– Add the onion, stir fry for 30 seconds to release aroma
– Add the carrots and Chinese chives. Combine and stir fry for 1 minute to cook a bit
– Add the noodle and chicken, stir fry for 30 seconds to combine
– Add half of the sauce, stir fry for 30 seconds. Make sure the noodle is all coated with the sauce
– Add the rest of the sauce, stir fry for another 30 seconds
– Lastly add some sesame oil, stir fry for 10 seconds to combine
– Transfer the content to the serving plate.
– Garnish with toasted sesame seeds
– Ready to serve!
-The wok I am using is carbon steel flat bottom 14 inches wok. The most similar I find in amazon is this